Head Coach Matt Blewett
Advanced Track (Week 1)
Matt Blewett began coaching at the Legion Athletic Camp in 1993 and has worked with both the Track and Advanced Track camps during this time. He has also had the opportunity to coach and travel with the Manitoba-Northwest Ontario Command track and field team 8 times to the Royal Canadian Legion Track and Field Championships.
While attending Kelvin High School, he competed on the cross-country, track & field, soccer, and badminton teams. He continued on to compete with the University of Manitoba track and field team and the Brick Gym Olympic Weightlifting Club. While in university he also began his coaching career working with the Kelvin High School cross-country and track & field teams.
He was a member of the 1995 Western Canada Summer Games team as an athlete and the 1999 WCSG team as the multiple events coach.
Currently he teaches Phys. Ed. and coaches the track & field team at Grant Park High School. Before this he was atSt. John’s High School where he has worked since 2005, and prior to that he taught and coached multiple sports at Isaac Newton Jr. High School.
When asked about his coaching philosophy, Matt said, “During my career as an athlete and coach I’ve had the privilege of working with and learning from many different coaches who have helped produce some of the top athletes from this province and run the most successful programs. I look forward to sharing what I’ve learned from them with future generations of athletes”
There are several other provincially known coaches on Matt's staff including;
Coach Joe McDonough:
· Sprints Coach at Lakehead University
· Level-II Athletics Canada Coaching
· Former Lakehead University Varsity athlete (Sprints + Middle Distance)· 3x Provincial Team Coach· 4x NWOSSA Region Overall Champions (Coaching out of Hammarskjold High School)
Coach Mingpu Wu
· provincial coach, Athletics Manitoba.
· Master degree of track and field training principle and methods.
· 15th year coaching at the Legion Camp.
· Involved with Olympic Games programs,
· Coached Jumps, Throws, and Combined Events for 9 Canadian national teams competing at the Pan America Jr, IAAF world youth championship, IAAF world junior championships, FISU, Youth Olympic Games in jumps, combined event and throws.
· Coached 3 Manitoba provincial teams for Canada summer games.
Coach Gee-ef Nkwonta
Specialties: Triple Jump, Long Jump, Sprints
As an athlete, he just completed a successful 5 years of eligibility at the University of Manitoba where he collected 3 Canada West medals, and most recently a bronze medal in the triple jump at the USports Indoor National Championships this year in Windsor. He is currently the 3rd ranked all-time Bison athlete in the Triple Jump and continues to compete on the national stage in the outdoor seasons.
Gee-ef has been coaching track and field since he started competing in 2012/2013. He is an active coach in Manitoba with “Team GO” of the Winnipeg Optimist Athletic Club. For the 2nd year in a row, he will be one of two head coaches for Team Manitoba at the Tri-Province/Western Canada Challenge meet July 27-29.
He is eager and continues to learn from his athletes and many mentors like Alex Gardiner (past Head Coach, Athletics Canada) and Chris Belof (Head Coach, University of New Brunswick). His coaching and athletic success is a result of his work ethic and attendance of many professional development trips and clinics. Two of which included attending training camps at ALTIS where pro athletes like Andre DeGrasse, Christabel Nettey, Greg Rutherford train under the instruction of pro coaches Dan Pfaff and Stu McMillan.
Coach Oy Akinola
· USports High Jump silver medalist.
· University of Manitoba Bisons current captain.
· Athletics Manitoba outreach coordinator.
· He is an active coach in Manitoba with “Team GO” of the Winnipeg Optimist Athletic Club. For the 2nd year in a row, he will be one of two head coaches for Team Manitoba at the Tri-Province/Western Canada Challenge meet July 27-29.
· attended training camps at ALTIS where pro athletes like Andre DeGrasse, Christabel Nettey, Greg Rutherford train under the instruction of pro coaches Dan Pfaff and Stu McMillan.
Contact Matt at: email@example.com